“Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment because as He is, so are we in this world” [1 John 4:17].
What a profound statement John makes in this epistle – that in this world, we are “as He is.” John is not making a comparison to Jesus’ character BUT to His position as a Son who is well-pleasing to God.
So if we are as He is in this world, then we too are God’s children who are acceptable and pleasing to Him.
1 John 4:18 goes on to say that God’s “perfect love casts out all fears.” Which means that when we are perfected in God’s love, we will NOT fear to face Him – even on judgment day. Why? Because we are God’s beloved. We are His.
When the truth of this identity sinks into you and sears into your soul, you will truly KNOW that God loves you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, as a Father loves His son.
Why then should you ever fear standing before God? Why should you fear standing before LOVE?
Even when you fail and fall, His love is still there giving you the boldness to come before Him in repentance. Because nothing can ever separate you from His love – “neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39).
Because nothing can ever separate you from His love – “neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39).
- God’s love is one that fills you with faith and courage – to step boldly into any valley because you know who is leading;
- God’s love teaches you to say ‘it’s well with my soul’ even when storms beat down your back because fear can’t find space amidst His peace;
- God’s love tightly embraces you with His Light to displace the darkness that gnaws at your bones to creep into your soul;
- God’s love silences the screams that say you are not enough or worthy. His love stills your soul;
- God’s love is not a thing of the past – it not merely something that He demonstrated 2000 years ago on a bloody cross;
- God’s love is enduring and present! It is alive and active in every moment of your life – filling, guiding, and permeating your soul so that He can overflow through you. God’s love makes you whole.